Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kitchen Goddess Wife Series: Beef with Brocolli with a kick!

It all started because of inggit.

The Congressman suddenly decided that he wants to bring home-cooked lunch to work "para tipid" daw. But the way he looks at my newly bought Lock N Lock insulated lunchpack makes me think that he has other reasons than magtipid

I bought the lunchpack since Friday is schoolday for me and gone were the days that I would go to Rob Place to eat lunch or go to that place with the "masarap na soup at malapit nang mabulok na saging" canteen near St. Paul's. I was thinking of getting a Tiger or Thermos lunchbox since I like my food warm. I remember my uncle gave me the Peacock insulated lunchbox from Japan which I really like because at lunch time, my rice is still piping hot! One time, I left my Peacock baunan in school and when my yaya got it later in the evening, the rice was panis but surprise, it's still warm! Peacock's not available locally, I was able to see a Thermos brand but it's too expensive so I got the Lock N Lock version na lang. Later I learned that the faculty room has its own microwave so buhay na ako doon!

Now back to the Congressman....

His big eyes grew bigger as I filled one Lock N Lock container to see if the liquid won't spill out in case the container topples over. I know they have a sample in SM where one container has this liquid on it just to prove that it's really closed tight but of course, being a victim of those damn Tupperwares (where I endured having toyo stains on my textbooks for the entire year), I have to see it for myself.  

Congressman: Buti bumili ka niyan, magbabaon na ako para tipid.

KGW: Akin to...magbabaon ako every Friday.

Congressman: E every Friday lang naman. E di ako gagamit from Monday to Thursday.

Hmm. Seems fair to me. I just forgot that I was talking to someone who's an expert on compromise agreements while my experience in compromise is limited to convincing a kid to get extraction in exchange for a balloon. I also forgot that being a lawyer, the congressman can be tuso for his own good. Soon enough I found my self bring microwavable plastics on Fridays while the Congressman eats heartily from MY Lock N Lock baunan! Hrrrrrr....

Well, all's forgiven, but definitely NOT forgotten, by this time. It's been a month since the Congressman started to bring baon to work and my, nauubusan na ako ng hotdog at longganisa na ipiprito para baunin niya! Even the Purefoods hotdog with sweet corn viand (I know, it weirded me out too!) pinatulan ko for variety's sake! As I ran out of the usual pambaon roster (fried hotdog, fried chicken, fried porkchop), I decided to make healthy meals once in a while with the help of a little researching for recipes.

Last weekend, I bought a bunch of brocolli in the market. Brocolli's expensive (P40 for such as small head) but it's really masustansya (as I would always hear from Mamu) and it's my favorite veggie. I also bought half kilo of beef sliced thinly (pang-beef steak) and pre-cooked it so it would be easier for me to prepare when I need it. And what do we get when we combine beef and brocolli? Eh di Beef with Brocolli! (corny...)

BEEF AND BROCOLLI STIR FRY


1/2 K. SIRLOIN STRIPS
1 LARGE ONION SLICED
2 HEADS OF BROCOLLI CUT INTO SMALL FLORETTES
COOKING OIL
3T OYSTER SAUCE OR SESAME OIL
2T SOY SAUCE 
DASH OF BLACK PEPPER

BROWN THE SIRLOIN BEEF IN A LITTLE DROP OF OIL. ADD ONIONS AND BROCS WHEN BEEF IS NEARLY DONE. ADD OYSTER AND SOY SAUCE. SEASON WITH BLACK PEPPER AND IF DESIRED FINISHED WITH SESAME OIL. SERVE OVER STEAMED RICE OR BOILED EGGNOODLES. THIS SERVES 4-6 DEPENDE SA APPETITE.

To make most of the brocolli, I also sliced the upper part of the stem/stalk (the softer part) into small circles and added as pampadami.

Beef with Brocolli na negrito (sorry camphone lang eh)

My mom said it tastes good (See, my mother knows best!), but suggested that I add a bit of sesame oil next time (And she can be a know-it-all too hehe joke lang). 

As for the Congressman's reaction? Well, I have yet to know by lunchtime. But as I place the dish into MY Lock N Lock baunan which he still use UP TO NOW....

KGW: Hoy kainin mo tong brocolli ha? Mahal 'to. Pag hindi mo kinain 'to sisipain kita!

Now that's service with a smile.

No comments: