Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kitchen Goddess-Wife Series

No, the title isn't a typographical error. It just depicts a certified domestic klutz's attempt to gain culinary skills without disastrous results. She's a bit narcissistic as well, hence, "goddess-wife" dapat!

The Congressman & I planned long before to taste Sentro's famed Corned Beef Sinigang. However, since we live far in the East side and gas prices are getting higher than Yao Ming, I don't think we would be sane to go as far as Makati just to eat. With the help of Google and armed with my one and only sandok (my Mom have a lot of sandok but she wouldn't part with any so she bought me one measly sandok from Robinson's since I won't get to cook much naman daw---that's what she thinks!), off I troop to my kitchen to make a version of the popular dish. This is a start of..."The Kitchen Goddess-Wife Series: Oh please save us" (Siyempre dapat may subtitle, ala- Carlo J. Caparas massacre movies since my cooking may end up in a massacre nyehehe)

Anyway, I used a recipe I posted here earlier (Corned Beef Sinigang) but I opted to Palm Corned Beef over Purefoods Chunky. I read somewhere not to use Argentina or Libby's unless you want pinkish corned beef sinigang.

Every cooking attempt should start with a prayer, and I could have finished saying the rosary while chopping the onions. (I was that slow when it comes to anything that involves a knife & a chopping board!) The Congressman was skeptical as I dumped the contents of the corned beef can into the soup. He commented, "Sana ginisa mo na lang..."

Undeterred, I continued cooking, adding the veggies which made it after the careful elimination process at the grocery a few days ago:

Mama: Huy, kanina ka pa diyan! (pointing at the veggies section at a grocery)

KGW: May talong ba sa sinigang?

Ma: Pwede... (ready to proceed with her pushcart to the frozen meat section)

KGW: Sigarilyas? Ano ba itsura nun? Pwede ba sa sinigang? Mani? Sitaw?

Ma: Ha? (Nagets na nya yung aking Bahay Kubo pattern so she grabbed a bag of gabi, string beans and kangkong) Eto na. Umalis ka na diyan. (Sabay hulog ng mga gulay sa aking basket)

Overall, my corned beef sinigang was pretty decent. Although not perfect...

Congressman: Nalabog ata yung gabi...

KGW: Oh...(thinking of an excuse) sinadya ko yan para madali i-mash for Robyn (yes! lusot! pwede na rin akong mag-abugado!)

Here's the finished product:

And here's one satisfied judge...

Success! My daughter emptied the entire bowl! Take note, kinain niya ha, hindi tinapon!

No comments: