Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Loving Kuya Dick

Now this is one guy every 70s, 80s and 90s kid should know. He's forever associated with gay roles (looong before Petrang Kabayo days) even though I still stand firm that he is a straight guy kasi naging sila ni Jackie Aquino. (cousin of Kris)

He's not matinee idol material but I've watched all his tv shows while growing up. My fondest memories of him during my elementary days was Tonight With Dick & Carmi since it was the only late-night show I was allowed to watch. (of course, I sneak every Fri nights to watch 90210, much to my mom's dismay) It was in that variety show where I saw him first dance the iconic "Together Forever" dance. He does sing the song too sometimes. Now that's one defense I tell my playmates everytime we have this very intellectual debate whether Kuya Dick's gay or not. I'd tell them: "Hindi bading yan. Anlalalim kaya ng boses pag kumanta!" It never cease to amaze me how Kuya Dick can switch from a very high-pitched voice from his gay roles to a deep pa-macho baritone everytime he sings.

Years and several variety shows later, Kuya Dick still dance the "Together Forever" dance. I did wonder if that's the only song he knows. Well, there's Never Gonna Give You Up din naman palaGrabe, his "Together Forever" numbers withstood the test of time, much longer than its original singer, Rick Astley's career. 

"Together Forever" is always a part of my videoke line up, ranking 5th ata after all my Irene Cara songs (Another early 80s icon). Those are the only times one can see me sing and dance at the same time. Of course, bribe me first with 4 bottles of San Mig Light and I would gladly oblige! Anyway, for those who'd rather not see me make a fool of myself but would like to see the "Together Forever" and "Never Gonna Give You Up" moves, here's a video of Rick Astley & Kuya Dick's showdown during the former's concert here in Manila. Kuya Dick rocked the house!

BTW, the dance moves for "Together Forever" & "Never Gonna Give You Up" are interchangeable hehehe.

No comments: