Thursday, September 25, 2008

Life As Told By Cellphones

A rainy day often makes me reminisce. While others would reminisce about significant events in their lives, their past love, their childhood-- I found myself reminiscing about my past mobile phones. Nyahaha.

It's funny to remember all the phones I had in the past (plus how ridiculous they looked like compared to the phones in the market nowadays). The Congressman once said that before, the only ones with a mobile phone are doctors and politicians. Now, even a grade schooler has one! (And to think that back in early HS days, my mom won't let me own a Tamagochi!)

As I try to remember my first mobile phone (after my Easycall days-- and mga may alam ng Easycall, please raise your hands!), I realized that each phone has a story.

1. Philips Fizz


I got this after days of begging my dad to buy me a mobile phone. FYI, my dad is one of the most kuripot people I know and every purchase has to be justified like defending your thesis. I remember my only reason that time is that I need to call them whenever I'm in the retreat or to let them know that I'm on my way home from field trip so they can fetch me. And dig this: We bought this for P500 on Globe's Plan 100 (Yes, once upon a time there was such a plan). 

I was pretty satisfied with this phone since texting was not yet discovered back then. My only textmate back then was Globe, often a reminder that my P100 monthly bill is already due. During my freshman year, my BFF Randy teased my on how big my mobile phone was ("Parang palo-palo!" as he would describe it). I didn't mind at first but then the teasing became a daily habit for him that I finally had to get a new phone. (Something that doesn't need the entire sim card--not just the part with the chip like what we use now--to be inserted. I swear, it was one GIGANTOR phone.)

2. Ericsson GA628

Back then (late 90's), Ericsson hasn't merge with Sony yet and Nokia was still unheard of. This was a fashionista's phone since the facing (the front panel) can be changed and panels come in different colors. I remember trying to match the colored panels to the color of my shirt which wasn't much of a problem since my Mom bought me several Giordano classics shirt in primary and secondary colors.

3. Nokia 5110
Everything changed when Nokia came into the picture. Kung hindi lang ako nalulong sa paglalaro ng Snakes hindi ko ito bibilhin. This is what we call the phone/game and watch combo. (Those who grew up playing Game and Watch, please raise their hand!)

Re-enter my Dad aka Boy Kunat: He can't absorb why I would need another phone when I just bought one (see previous entry) a year ago. Well, going back I realized no one can absorb my reason with all those high-pitched whines. Nevertheless, I was able to become college scholar that time so my dad finally gave in as a reward. 

I should also say that this was my much-pimped phone by far. The facing & keypads are replaceable so I spent a half day trying to find a rainbow themed facing and black keypad in Greenhills on the same day we purchased the phone. This particular unit was one of the most expensive mobile phones back the, priced at P6,000--same amount as my tuition for the entire semester.

3. Nokia 3310
This phone is one unplanned purchase (I mean, one of my many unplanned purchases hehe). As much as I'm embarrased to admit, I lost my Nokia 5110 to karma: it was stolen after I did a very evil deed known to every dental student. Clue: it involves desperation + wax + and a dental technician in Recto. Thank goodness Drs. Sunico & Salvacion don't have Multiply accounts. 

4. Nokia 8210
Alas, my evil dent-days deeds didn't end. As our purchases for dental school increased, so did my kickbacks. I saw this phone first in Charlie's Angels, it's in the post-sex scene of Drew and Tom Green ( and this was THE breakup phone as mention by my gal pal Tanya in my previous blog). Kickbacks can get doom your lovelife. As they say, it's either "may pera ka or may 'papa' ka." I decided I'd go with the pera first for a while :)

5. Nokia 8310

This is the sturdiest phone I've ever had. And if my memory served me right, this particular unit has given me the best "texting ease" (in other words, dito ako pinakamabilis mag-text, yun lang!) I wouldn't have replaced this I didn't give in the the stupid Smart Amazing phone ad. After me, it was handed down to my brother who eventually handed it over to my nephew (My cousin's son, I don't have a true-blue nephew or niece yet, thank goodness!)--and yes, the phone very much still in A-1 condition!

5. Smart Amazing Phone
I'd rather call this the Smart No-So Amazing Phone. Let me just say that I was blinded by the fact that it has a camera (VGA and detachable pa!) and it boasts to be a smart phone (semi-PDA). I figured I can make good use of the camera (NOT!) and it's PDA-like capabilities for scheduling patients for clinics (Again, NOT! There's not so many patients to schedule, Clinical 40 is also known as out bangenge days.) But even I despised the phone so much, I didn't have the heart to ask for a new one (or do any more kickbacks) since I am collecting karma points to finish Dent school requirements and to pass the board exams. That's why it is such a blessing that there was a hold-up in the fx I was riding on my way to work--never was I soooo glad to hand out my cellphone at gun point! Hah, good riddance!

6. Nokia 3230


My mom gave this as a replacement for my stolen (well, not really stolen since deep inside I was glad to give it away) Smart Not-So Amazing Phone. It serve me well and I was able to use its features up to its full potential. It was the phone known to be a silent witness to several milestones in my life: my wedding (SMS from the Congressman: D2 na me church. Walang indyanan!), giving birth to Robyn (SMS to the Congressman: Wla na diapers, bili ka Prokids NewBorn sa Mercury pag-uwi mo nang maranasan mo ang maging ama!) and a lot more. Sadly, after several hangs and sudden turn-off moments, I have to turn over this phone to some guy in Greenhills.

7. Sony Ericsson P1i
This is the phone I am currently using, although mine's the conventional one with the silver border--I didn't know there's an all black one, maganda pala! Anyway, this was a Christmas & birthday gift from the Congressman since those occassions occur on succeeding months. I was seriously considering a Treo but for some reason, I bought this one instead.  This is Robyn's favorite toy, she knows how to use the stylus so she can doodle on the phone's notepad feature (It's way better than let her doodle on the walls) and she gives out a ready, pilit smile (Read: OA smile, as in!) when the camera part is aimed at her. It's first sent message? 

SMS to the Congressman: Tnx tlga sa pne. Ngayon ko lng napatunayan na mahal mo ko.
SMS from the Congressman: Crazy! :) 

I don't know how long the P1i would stay with me, I have gone past the phase where I was on the prowl for new phone models, though the Congressman's been asking if I want a new one for Christmas. (No thanks dear, the ceramic studded Toywatch na white would suffice! Haha!) That's how my phone stories end for now. What's your phone stories?

No comments: